• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of high BP

Posted on Fri, 27 Feb 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am medicating for hypertension for a couple of years. Before I had medication I often "heard" my pulse beating in my ears in a silent room when going to sleep at night. With medication, this does not happen. Also, when feeling my pulse on on my wrist, it is beating significantly softer than it did before. No problem with this of course. But just interested if this can be related.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That's indeed good.

Detailed Answer:
Before you started medicine, it could either be that your BP was so high that it produced, sensation or also your pulse could have been at higher rate.

It's good sign that it has disappeared and also same logic or apology applies to your pulse becoming soft.

There is no need for concern or worry.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 17 minutes later
Good. I used to have around 160/100 BP before medication. At least when taking it at a clinic (white collar syndrome). Might have been a bit lower when fully relaxed. But still too high.

After medication I most often have around 135/75. Sometimes after relaxing more, it even goes down to 127/69.

I have a history of fear for test taking. Once I put on the home meter without relaxing before, I was standing upright, and held my arm down along the side (not heart-level). Also I was extremely stressed. Sort of a panic attack. Then the meter suddenly showed 180/120. Could that be a wrong reading??
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible to be error

Detailed Answer:
Yes, since most of the times BP is in optimal range that should be artefact. In fact, we suggest always to omit first few reading after starting the recording.
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional