question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of herpes

Posted on Tue, 15 Dec 2015
Question: I have a rash that start from the left middle side of my back the reaches under my left arm and the left side of my breast can you please help
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hi

welcome to this site!

I am Dr V XXXXXXX a dermatologist responding to your query.

I have noted your description but need to have a bit more of information. In the meantime, please adopt following measures:

1 Clean the area frequently with p[lain water and ensure good ventilation.

2 Avoid any home remedies as these might interfere with healing in case it turns out to be a viral condition called herpes that mimics the description given by you

3 One might use an antibiotic cream containing Mupirocin.

4 For itching, one may use Levocetirizine 5mg and a suitable pain killer if required.

I will be awaiting information along following points

---Whether rash is dry or characterized by small watery grouped bubbles
---Any pain or itching preceding the rash
---History of medication recently
---Fever/ burning
---Is it located only on one side of the body
---any concurrent medication

If convenient, please attach photo of rash as well.

Wish you all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. VINAY KUMAR (44 minutes later)
I have a little pain with it but its just on my back and it is located on one side of my body
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR (4 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Next steps

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome with your details!

In the present situation, the best course of action would be to:

1 First four measures as outlined in previous communication.

2 Oral antibiotic like Amoxycillin-Clavunate combination 625 mg twice daily has proved very effective for most such patients in my practice when supplemented by multi-vitamins.

3 To be on the safe side, an in person opinion is highly recommended to rule out Herpes Zoster infection.

I am sure you will make the best use of guidance and get normal at the earliest.

Best wishes from our team!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. VINAY KUMAR (1 hour later)
this is the rash I was talking about
Answered by Dr. VINAY KUMAR (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Thanks for additional information

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome with the graphic information to supplement previous notes.
On the basis of updated information, it goes in favor of a Herpes Zoster infection.
To any patient attending in person, I would have suggested the following measures in addition to the previous suggestions

1 Locally cream containing ACYCLOVIR five times a day

2 Tab ACYCLOVIR 800 mg five times a day, for five days at least(please ensure to keep your self well hydrated while you're on ACYCLOVIR)

Both these compounds are antiviral drugs and have been used with remarkable success in such conditions, but since these are prescription drugs , i'd strongly suggest you to check in with your local physician before getting them.

Hope you get well fast.

We wish you an early recovery!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. VINAY KUMAR

Dermatologist