• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of deep vein thrombosis

Posted on Fri, 4 Nov 2016 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I have had a number of surface vein blood clots in one particular leg and one DVT. I ware compression thigh high stockings 30-40 mmHg because of varicose veins. I have noticed lately that the lower part of the leg just above the ankle seems quite slender and the calf area just above seems to be bulged a bit and at times there is some vein pain in that area. Is this a problem? Could it be creating a condition for a blood clot to form? Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. You may already heve a DVT

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX regardless of which leg had the former DVT, what you're describing is very typical of DVT symptoms.

You need to take off the compression stockings and get immediate Doppler venous flow studies of both legs to check for another DVT, and since you've already had one, I assume you know the risk of a pulmonary embolus.

This is a very serious situation so please contact your doctor now.

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ralph Chambers