• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for symptoms of cluster headache

Posted on Mon, 24 Oct 2016 in General Health
Question: What causes temper headache continually 24/7 sometimes severe and reaches my left eye
Answered by Dr. Scott Rebich 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Altitude, smoking, alcohol, strong odors, and being a male

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

This sounds awfully like a cluster headache. Cluster headaches are usually one sided, excruciating, sharp, searing, piercing pain that is localized in the area around the eye and temporal region. Some people will also get tearing, redness, and nasal congestion on the same side. It is common to find your self pacing around and rubbing your eye. Usually attacks last 15 to 180 minutes if untreated and occur from once every other day to 8 times per day. Attacks usually occur in series (cluster periods) lasting for weeks or months separated by remission periods usually lasting months or years. However, about 10-15% of patients have chronic symptoms without remissions. The etiology is complex and incompletely understood.

Cluster headaches are more common in:
Male gender
Cigarette smoking, alcohol, and strong odors can cause and worsen cluster headaches
Family history of cluster headache
Head trauma

I would recommend:
Avoid major changes in sleep habits.
Get screened for sleep apnea.
Stop smoking.
Avoid use of alcohol during cluster period.
Avoid extreme changes in altitude due to changes in oxygen levels.
Avoid exposure to chemical agents/odors

Oxygen is actually the main therapy for cluster headaches. Actually it's the only therapy. Oxygen at 100% provides relief within 15 minutes for almost all patients with cluster headaches. Narcotics and pain medication can actually make the headache worse.

I would recommend going to see your doctor to get screened for routine medical problems such as electrolyte imbalance, vitamin deficiencies, endocrine disorders, and metabolic disorders such as kidney, liver, and thyroid dysfunction.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Scott Rebich

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 283 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Electrolyte imbalance

doctor1 MD

Hi dr xxxxxxxx as requested I had blood panel done and they came back normal no signs of heart attack or enzymes I have a stress test set up...

doctor1 MD

My wife is 77 years old. In 2016, she had 1/2 of right lung removed due to lung cancer . She then had a-fib and later chemo for cancer. In march...

doctor1 MD

I am a 72 yr old female. For the past week, I have been suffering on and off with upper posterior thigh muscle spasms, together with a knife-like...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Scott Rebich
  • Q - Does Buscopan interact with Probaclac?

  • Q - How can I clear the pressure in the right ear?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe body pain and fatigue in an elderly person

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chlamydia

  • Q - Suggest treatment for stiffness in head and soreness behind the ears

  • Q - Suggest treatment for fever and allergy

  • Q - Does excessive sweating a sign of heart failure?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for headaches, joints pain and fatigue

  • Q - What causes pain in the ribs, abdomen and back?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chills and fever while on Ciprofloxacin