Suggest treatment for symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife got a virus around XXXXXXX 1, she felt better without viral symptoms on about the 15th of XXXXXXX During that period of sickness she was bed ridden. It is now mid-february and she has not gained back any of her stamina. She mostly lays around, she can usually done one big thing a day like get the kids off for school and then she's fatigued the rest of the day. Please Help!
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is chronic fatigue syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
With all the organic work up being normal your wife falls in to a catogery called chronic fatigue syndrome.
This syndrome is usually triggered due to a viral infection.The symptoms of which are typical as you have described.
Unfortunately no specific treatment is yet found for this weird problem but many therapies have found to be helpful like graded excercise regime ,specially targetting the muscles .
Councelling or cognitive behavioural therapy also plays a major role .
Some physicians also recommend tri cyclicantidepressants but a very small dose has to be tried as already the system would be facing a major downward crisis or I would put it like they would get more sedation than required.
I would recommend graded excercise and behavioural therapy to treat her .
Hope this helps
Best wishes

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 27 hours later
Is this a physical or mental disorder? If it is both Physical and Mental, what parts do each play in CFS?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not mental

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

It is definitely a physical and organic disorder it is not a psychiatric problem but definitely exacerabates on stress.
Hence muscle training to combat stress is essential.
Keep her as stress free as possible.

If you found our discussion beneficial please give a review.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana