Suggest treatment for symptoms of cardiac arrhythmia

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was just checking my blood pressure at home when I noticed that the pulse would skip a beat. I took off the cuff and checked my pulse with my finger and it happened again. I could feel the pulse then all of a sudden it would skip a beat. I wish to know what you think.

I forgot to mention that I have a sinus alergy and my nose gets stopped up and I can not breathe through my nose so I use a nose spray which has as the ingredient named oxymetazoline hydrocloride 0.05% nasal decongestant.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your question and would explain that your symptosm could be related to a cardiac arrhythmia.

From the other hand oxymetazoline could cause rarely skipped heart beats.

Anyway, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG
- some blood lab tests (complete blood count, thyroid hormone levels and blood electrolytes) to investigate for possible metabolic causes of arrhythmia

An ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring would help examine better your heart rate during a prolonged time and exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri