Suggest treatment for symptoms of bronchitis in a child

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Daughter 15 yrs old. Has been suffering from cold for more than 4 weeks. She's been in and out of the doctors office and urgent care. He has been given a Z pack, inhaler, shot of steroids and breathing treatments both steroids and albunerol. She received an xray through Urgent care and was diagnose with Bronchitis.She's also been given Steroids orally. She cries of pain sometimes of her side and chest hurting but no SOB or fever. We are in-between insurance, be getting the new insurance Dec. 1. I don't know what else to do because We've exhausted our extra funds from taking her back and forth to the hospital for over a month now. Please help

She's been complaining for chest and side pains. No fever, dizziness, or SOB
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get done PFT.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Possibility of bronchitis is more likely.
Bronchitis needs proper treatment according to severity of the disease.
And for severity, PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) is must.
So get done PFT.
Based on PFT severity she will need inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).
N acetyl cystine (NAC) is also beneficial in bronchitis.
So please let me know if she had PFT done or not.
If PFT is done then what are the PFT values.
Please let me know these things to that I can guide you better.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wishing good health to your daughter. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 43 minutes later
Thank you. I will get her to see a doctor this coming up week
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I am glad that my advice is helping you.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
It's always encouraging for doctors to hear positive feedback from patients.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj