Suggest treatment for symptoms of blepharitis

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi

I have Blepharitis problem.
My eyes become red, irritated and itchy and dandruff like scales form on the eyelashes.
It is from long time approx 5-6 years and it seems more in winters.
please help me how to diagnose this.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details incorporated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HCM.
Blepharitis is a common eye condition characterized by chronic inflammation of the eyelid, usually where eyelashes grow, resulting in inflamed, irritated, itchy, and reddened eyelids.
There are various condition which causes blephritis,
Some of them are-
-Oil glands at the base of the eyelashes becoming clogged.
-Bacterial infection.
-Allergies
Inflamed, irritated, itchy, and reddened eyelids are characterstic feature of Blepharitis.

Diagnosis-
A swab from eye should be collected for bacterial or fungal testing,as it is typically caused by bacterial infection in most of the cases.However as you haver mentioned that it is usually there during winters so it can be allergic in your case also,But initially bacterial infection is to be ruled out.

However main criteria for diagnosing blepharitis is detailed physical examination by a opthalmologist.
As you have not asked about treatment,I am not mentioning that part.However you want treatment part i will pen it down in next reply.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy