Suggest treatment for symptoms of arthritis in an elderly person

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: when I walk I feel i am very slightly leaning on lateral and post. parts of both feet. Since i am 77 years old, i think i may be getting inversion of feet or ankles. Is this a condition of aging? I have also noticed that my toes are sl.turning in . This is a question to Podiatrist . Thank you...
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Age related arthritis

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

As you are 77 years old now,the synovial fluid and the articular cartilage in all the joints tends to wear off causing arthritis.

Especially the small joints of the feet are more commonly affected in this condition.This is definitely an ageing effect on the bones and joints of the body.

If there is a positive family history of arthritis,then there are more chances of such small joint deformities.

Yoga,stretching exercises and healthy diet are the mainstay of treatment.

Get an Xray of the feet and ankle done to see the extent of arthritis.Do let me know once the Xrays are done.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Dr Mahaveer Patil,
MS ortho,Mch ortho
Consulting orthopaedic surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 19 hours later
Dear Dr. Mahaveer XXXXXXX

I am physician myself, I am the author of two books and you can check them on XXXXXXX com or at my website XXXX

I do not have arthritis. I am 77 years old and in excellent shape. I do not take any medication. I have been doing Yoga and meditation for 50 years.

My question is the inversion of the foot, is a issue at this age or is it just my feeling. I also noticed that my shoe wears out on the outer aspect of the shoes. Please reply.

Thank you very much.
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is not just a feeling

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dr XXXX,

Inversion at your age is definitely an age related issue and not just a feeling.

It is highly appreciable that you do yoga and meditation for the last 50 years and you should continue doing so.

Ankle muscle strengthening exercises (especially everters of the ankle and feet) will help.

Thank you.

Kind regards.