Suggest treatment for symptoms of anxiety
I read your question carefully and I am sorry about what you have been through and still are.
In my opinion the main issue is due to a generalized anxiety disorder. Some of the diagnosis you mention of PTSD and benzodiazepine withdrawal also belong to the spectrum of anxiety disorders. Adderall use is also at times associated with anxiety as well as fibromyalgia. So you have many contributors to anxiety which explains well your sleep issues, mental fogginess, concentration issues, trembling etc. I am not sure why you mention serotonin syndrome as the medication you mention does not cause serotonin syndrome.
Given the complexity of your case, with several contributors, recovery will not be easy, but you can get a lot better. First step would be psychotherapy sessions. Cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy is the cornerstone of anxiety disorders treatment. Apart from that I am afraid that medication might also be needed. Benzodiazepines were not a good choice because over time they create dependence and tolerance (same dosage doesn't achieve same efficacy). When it comes to long term anxiety treatment antidepressants are the more appropriate choice. While their name may make one think they are only used for depression, they are actually the most used medications for anxiety. There are several classes of antidepressants out there. Considering your sleep difficulties in your case I would choose an antidepressant with sedative properties to help with the sleep issues. Amitriptyline would be a good choice. You will need a prescription for it though. I suggest since it is likely that you will need long term follow up visits that you search for a psychiatrist that you trust in order to be regularly followed and monitor treatment effects.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Thank you for the additional information. That explains your worry about serotonin syndrome, you were under quite too many medications. I still do not think it is a case of serotonin syndrome which is more of an acute event.
You may start to feel the effects of amitriptyline already from the first week, but for full effect up to a month may be needed (that applies to almost all antidepressants). In a young individual, where sleep issues are also present I think a tricyclic antidepressant is a preferred choice.
Let me know if I can further assist you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for anxiety disorder
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and anxiety
- Suggest treatment for anxiety attacks
- Suggest treatment for separation anxiety
- Suggest treatment for adhdrls and anxiety
- Suggest treatment for extreme anxiety
- Stress and anxiety symptoms treatment
- Suggest treatment for pain and anxiety
- Suggest treatments for anxiety
- Suggest treatment for anxiety with lightheadedness
- What causes microvascular ischemic disease?
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches
- Can Lipitor cause brain damage?
- What causes severe migraine while on Cymbalta and Xanax?
- What are the signs and symptoms of brain aneurysm?
- What does intense pain in the temple suggest?
- What causes intense fatigue, tingling sensation in the feet and leg pain?
- What causes agitation and inappropriate sexual behavior while having...
- Suggest remedies for muscle pain, dizziness and constipation when...
- Can stress cause cyanotic discoloration on the extremities?