Suggest treatment for symptoms of an umbilical hernia

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: My belly button is sticking out more than usual, people tell me it might be a hernia. it feels real squishy when i push on it. What could it be?

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be an Umbilical hernia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
As per your description, it could be an Umbilical hernia.
There will be a defect beneath the skin of bellybutton. Omental fat or sometimes bowel enter into the hernial sac and gets stucked. You may feel the bulge in the bellybutton.
Exact diagnosis can be made by clinical examination and Ultrasound abdomen.
You can attach the pic if you do not have any objection.
There is no medical management for hernia. Surgery has to be done as soon as possible to avoid complications like Obstruction, strangulation.
Please consult your doctor, get examined clinically and proceed accordingly.
Hope I answered your query.If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad