Suggest treatment for symptoms of acid reflux

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A few weeks ago i was feeling discomfort in my stomach followed my heartburn and having lots of gas. I went to see my doctor and he said its most likely a virus and to let it pass. A few days after he was right it went away. But now its back again. I have abdominal discomfort with acidic burps,Flatulence, and my stomach is growling lots. The discomfort lingers all day. I am not throwing up nor do i even feel sick. No blood it stool, its a light brown colour ,its just a bit softer then it usually is. But it seem since the discomfort i dont have a bowel movement as often. Its still at least once a day. It feels like theres a bunch of gas that just wont go away. It doesnt really hurt its just uncomfprtable. Im still able to go about my normal day
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acid reflux.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
Your symptoms classically fit into Acid peptic disease.
It might be associated with Giardiasis that is causing you so much trouble.

My opinion in such case would be :

1. To take a combination of Pantoprazole and Rabeprazole once a day.

2. To take Metronidazole for 5 days which would cure Giardiasis.

3. To take soft and bland diet.

4. To walk after all meals.

You would feel better with in a matter of 5 days. However for Acid peptic disease you may need to take Pantoprazole and Levosulpride for a longer duration.

I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 8 minutes later
Can i these without perscription
Brief Answer:
It depends on your country's status

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Mostly these medicines are available over the counter. However, you have to check this in your country.
We also recommend that you should always take any medicines under guidance of your doctor.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 14 minutes later
Thank you so much. One last question. Is it benifical for me to take probiotics daily? Maybe a one a day tablet? Will this help keep the digestive system healthy?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Definitely

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you may take probiotics daily. They really help your gut to work better and keep the digestive system healthy.
At least, they are not going to harm you.

Good Luck.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 8 hours later
I forgot to mention i have had bad post nasal drip for a few years now. Thick mucus that im always clearing out of my throat. Could this cause stomach issues like im experiancing?
Brief Answer:
Sinus allergy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome back,

No not at all. Sinus infection or allergy is not going to cause stomach issues.
This is totally unrelated.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee