Suggest treatment for symptoms of Zoloft

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I finally started Zoloft 3 days ago for panic/anxiety @ 25mg
and today I am intensely anxious/tremor/jitters, nauseous and feel like a pressure cooker is inside my body. But if that were gone, id feel fine. You think it's a start up side effect/it'll pass??
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

The symptoms described over here is indicative of induction phase side effect of zoloft. It is not uncommon to see these side effects during the first week of SSRI medication including zoloft.

In my experience most of the individuals with zoloft stop feeling start up side effects by the end of first week. I also observed that by day five there is decreased intensity of these symptoms.

I am also of the opinion that if these symptoms are very much disturbing it will be better if you can take low dose clonazepam such as 0.25 mgh on need basis for initial one week. In case they are manageable it will be better without any add on medication.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you. I do have some .5 of clon but i was resisting using it.

I wonder why these things happen!

Have you seen people respond well to just 25mg?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

I have seen people responding with lowest possible dose and that is not a XXXXXXX It is common observation than low dose of clonazepam have profound anxiolytic effects.

Regarding cause of this particular side effects I like to inform you that it probably happens due to further neurotransmitter depletion.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 33 minutes later
If more neurotransmitters are depleted, how does the zoloft help increase it??

Also, i forgot one last wuestion. Ive been on it 2 times before and its worked well, that should indicate ill eventually respond again, yes?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

The neurotransmitter depletion is transient response and do not have permanent changes of such nature. There is kind of upgradation of serotonin receptors over time to take care of anxiety. Zoloft blocks the transporter which bring backs the neurotransmitter(NT) in neutron and keeps the NT where it is required (synapse).

History of past response is the best indicator of further response followed by response in family members.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 days later
Hi. I have one more question so i figured i would ask. Have you seen people with anxiety/agorophobia/panic respond to 25mg of zoloft or will i definitely need more?

My first time i was at 150 for 5 years. Second time at 100 for a year and a half. That worked just as well.

This time i was very anxious and agoriphibic but never had the same amount of panic attacks as before. It was more high general anxiety and ocd/what if thoughts.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Considering the past response I think you will need higher dosage. It is very rare for as person to respond at 25 mg per day of zoloft in panic disorder.

In my experience almost all persons need at least 50 mg of zoloft and three fourth of individuals need more than 50 mg of zoloft per day.

I hope this assists you further.

Thanks and regards.