Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
176 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for symptoms of UTI

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 17755 Questions

Posted on Tue, 27 Jan 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I think I have a urinary tract infection as my urethra seems to be feeling itchy and inflammed and having some difficulty in urinating...
A week ago I felt some ministone descending ..probably may have scraped the urethra on it sway down..
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urine Culture before antibiotic is started and other investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history and understanding.

You are absolutely right.
Once a ministone is passed through the urethra, it can practically ''scratch'' it and takes a lot of time to heal and become asymptomatic.
This is probably be the reason of your problem.

Your feeling of urinary tract infection (UTI) due to urethra being itchy, inflamed with some difficulty in urinating needs to be investigated as you are 52 years old.

I would advise you the following:
First of all send the Urine sample for culture and sensitivity, routine and microscopic examination. This will give the best results if you have not started on antibiotic.
Routine Blood test of CBC, Blood Sugar, urea and creatinine.
Ultrasonography of the whole abdomen, telling the Radiologist what your problem are, so that he shall see in details the urogenital system for stones and signs of UTI, size of prostate and so on.
These basic investigations will give us the idea about the probable cause.

Antibiotic to be started the moment you have given the urine sample as we can not wait till the report of culture and sensitivity as it take few days / or continue antibiotic, if you are already taking them and to change over to another if required according to the report.

Take plenty of oral fluids, water in particular. Try to take large quantity allowable by your stomach when at home in the evening as you may need to visit the restroom frequently. (not during working hours). The idea is to flush the urinary system.

Further investigations like Cysto-urethroscopy / Intra-venous Pyelography are to be done if there is no response to medical treatment or if advised so by your Urologist.

Rest of the treatment will depend upon the the circumstances, reports ans so on.

I hope this answer helps you to get a proper diagnosis, and get a proper further treatment. Please feel free to ask for more or if you need further clarifications if you feel there is a gap of communication.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 57 minutes later
I would request for an immediate antibiotic so a little relief is there: i shall follow up with the culture test tmw...
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a prescription for Cefixime or Oflaxacin

Detailed Answer:
Antibiotic will need a prescription from your Doctor. Please discuss about Cefixime or Oflxacin and get a prescription from your local Doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Ultrasonography

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. I am married and having a kid of 5 years old. My last period was Feb 23. Till now for this month i have not get periods, have taken...

doctor1 MD

hI, My husband is having pain at right abdomen frequently. Sometimes it s unbearable. He done some tests like sonography It has found that there is...

doctor1 MD

Is Zanocin-400 a drug for Typhoid tretment? Does it control rigers and fever? My doctor has prescribed it as a possibel treatment for typhoid....

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...hello iam surbhi from india .my health problem is heamatourea with...

doctor1 MD

I have pain and swelling under my upper arm on both sides. I am 70 female.

doctor1 MD

I just got a recall back from a mammogram app. I'm very scared, what could it be if not cancer?

doctor1 MD

I have a constant spasm in my lower left abdomen no pain feels like a baby kicking but I’m 63. What can it be?