Suggest treatment for symptoms of Sindbis viral infection

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in General Health
Question: Dear Dr. Mendiratta,

Thank you so very much for following up with me. I've been released from hospital and am still experiencing joint pain and a lower tolerance to hot weather, but I feel I'm doing well on a steady regiment of taking an NSAID to keep my fever down. My doctors performed a lot of tests but never came to any conclusion. I've been doing quite a lot of research and came upon a virus that seems like what I have. Sindbis Virus caused by a mosquito bite. Is there any way to find out if this is conclusively what I have? Would you consider this to be what I'm experiencing?

Thank you so very much, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Naval Mendiratta 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sinbis Virus

Detailed Answer:
Good evening XXXXXXX

Well good to know you are out of the hospital and they didnt find anything serious as of now...If you could share your blood reports with me that would be helpful, as I would like to see what all has been carried out and if something we have missed..

As for the Sinbis virus, it can cause symptoms of fever joint pains rashes.But I really dont think it is the cause in your case. Firstly, It is not found in your country..More in XXXXXXX ..Secondly, the fever doesnt last long..Joint pains can last a while but the fever and rashes usually disappear in a weeks time. But lot of viruses can give the similar picture but we expect self resolution in 7-10 days time..Anything lasting beyond that is something else.

My last probability would be Adult onset stills disease. You can look up on net and see if your symptoms match through..Since most of your blood work is negative, but you still continue to have rashes fever swollen lymph nodes, it is one of the diagnosis. One has to look at Serum Ferritin to see if it is high or not..Moreoever it is a diagnosis of exclusion when nothing significant we have found.

Do let me know if you could share the results...

Await you reply

REgards
Dr Naval
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj