Suggest treatment for symptoms of Parkinson's disease

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am caretaker (daughter in law) for 89 year old women living with us. She has recently deveoped jerking in arms and inability to hold anything without dropping. I can't take blood pressure because of jerking. Only med she is on is Ampicyllon besides regular daily meds. She also has COPD.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What is she being treated for?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

I have reviewed her information fully. Ampicyllon is not a well known drug and I will like you to cross check if you got the spelling right. You may also help provide me with what it is being used for to be able to help discern what it is actually intended for.

Her symptoms are suggestive of Parkinson's disease. this is characterized by resting tremors. it becomes difficult and they may even be unable to feed themselves. Accompanied to this would be difficulty getting up from a sitting position and a tendency to lean forward during walk efforts.

She needs to be reviewed by her neurologist if the diagnosis of Parkinson's disease has never been made. Also, if she"s on treatment already, she needs further reviewed as her symptoms are getting worse.

I hope this guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me and ask for more information and details if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 22 minutes later
She was recently in the hospital for a fall. She is being treated for UTI. Therefore anti-biotic ampicillin. She is also on Oxygen 24/7 for COPD. Also diagnosed with some kidney failure in one kidney. Could that cause the problem with arms and hands? I will look into the possibility of Parkinson's, but this has become much worse in the last day or two.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ampicillin wouldn't cause such a symptom!

Detailed Answer:

This is not a known side effect of ampicillin or kidney failure. I suggest she gets evaluated for tremors with parkinson's disease being the most likely cause on my list. However, I wouldn't want to think the tremors only started a few days ago as that would be totally different from the natural occurrence pattern of parkinson's.

I will like to know what the final conclusion after further evaluation is.

Thanks and courage.