Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: having heartburn symptoms along with chest, arm and back pains
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease is a possibility.

Detailed Answer:

Firstly I would thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

Your symptoms are suggestive of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. It is a form of digestive problem, which affects the muscle ring present between the stomach and the food pipe. It causes regurgitation of the contents of the stomach back to the food pipe causing severe heart burn with chest pain.

Heartburn is the primary symptom of GERD which causes a feeling like burning chest pain which is usually retro sternal and can even be felt in arms.

Tests advised -

Stress test to rule out cardiac involvement as gastric symptoms often mimic cardiac symptoms.As your age is 71 cardiac involvement is to be ruled out.
Endoscopy to examine the inner part of the oesophagus.
X ray lumbo sacral spine(to rule out cause of back pain)
Serum calcium and vitamin levels(Deficiency associated with back pain in elderly)
Treatment-
Once GERD is diagnosed, Severe life styles changes are to be made.
-A low fat diet to be taken
-Avoid spicy food.
-Try to eat organic vegetable and fruits.
-Avoid citrus fruits and juices.
-Drink cold milk.
-Avoid Meat.
-No smoking or alcohol.
Along with life style changes
Take Prilosec 40mg once daily empty stomach to provide symptomatic relief. Antacids like digene can be continued to neutralize the acid as and when required.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D