Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: If there is even a slight delay in taking breakfast or may be lunch then i get acidity. This acidity leads to headache as well. Many a time i get up at night while sleeping and i feel burning sensation in my chest, again acidity.

The important point to note here is that i only eat home cooked food, non oily and non spicy. I even eat salads and fruits as well. But still i feel acidity.

Also, if i take PAN-D, then irrespective of whatever i eat, nothing happens everything goes perfect.

I understand it's not good to take PAN-D everyday, can you help me what should i do?

Around a year back, i had a consultation with Gastrologist, she had suggested taking PAN-D for a 15 days and then slowly discontinue the medication.

Is there any permanent solution for Acidity/GERD?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Life style condition; need strict life style changes...

Detailed Answer:

Hyperacidity / GERD is a medical condition associated with life style. Different form of triggers related to diet and life style are responsible for this condition. Besides these diet / life style other factors related to personality and genetics are associated. Therefore you need a strict and governed diet / life style changes to prevent hyperacidity / GERD.

The following changes are important:
- Regular and scheduled diet
- Avoiding hot and spicy diet
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and beverages
- keeping weight under control
- Active physical exercises
- Regular sleep
- Manage stress and anxiety appropriately

Hyeracidity / GERD in most patients is a recurring problem. However recurrence can be minimized by following aforementioned steps.

In addition, if the problem is too frequent and severe, it is advisable to visit a gastroenterologist and plan an endoscopy.

Hope this answered your question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
Thanks for the revert Doctor.

Out of the things mentioned by you i have mentioned my habits inline. Please do suggest what changes would be required in respective habits?

- Regular and scheduled diet (My breakfast, lunch and dinner time is moreover same)

- Avoiding hot and spicy diet (I do not eat spicy food, but is eating hot food also a restriction?)

- Avoid smoking, alcohol and beverages (I do not smoke, neither i have ever had alcohol and i refrain from beverages as well)

- keeping weight under control (My weight is under control and my BMI is 22)

- Active physical exercises (This is something which i do not do)

- Regular sleep (I usually sleep late by 12.30-1:00 in the midnight, but i get up late i.e by 9-9.30 am in the morning, is this could be the issue?)

- Manage stress and anxiety appropriately (I do not have any stress or anxiety issues as well)

Also i wanted to know would it be advisable to take Pan - D occasionally or another medicine you suggest whenever i feel hyper acidity?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Improved sleep habits and physical exercise...

Detailed Answer:
Yes, you should currently improve your sleep habits / hygeine. Unless and until you have specific reasons why you sleep that late, I will recommend you improve sleep timings.

I am glad you listed you do not have stress. However current statistics says, there is consistent amount of stress when a person sleeps very late and has less than 6-8 hours of sleep. So you definitely need to improve sleep timings if feasible.

And yes, physical activity and exercise helps to great extent in preventing hyperacidity.

In addition to these, please check if symptoms gets precipitated whenever you drink fair amount of beverages including coffee and tea. If they do, I will recommend you cut down completely.

Lastly, there is no serious damages with occasion use of Pan D. And there are other drugs available, but since Pan D worked for you, you can continue the same whenever necessary.

I hope all your questions are answered. I will be glad to discuss further if necessary. If not, please close this discussion.

PS: Note, if symptoms are severe and frequently recurring, consider getting an endoscopy done.