Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I bave been know in the past to have anxiety, recently back on Saturday(07/30) I had some acid reflux around 7 PM or 8 PM and I took a 22.3 mg Nexium. So that night at around 11 - 12 I strated having some uncomfortablness in my stomach and chest. I was burping like crazy and with some of those burps I could feel burning at the end of my throat. So I was finally able to get to sleep around 4 AM and had to be up at 8 AM for wok. I went to work and had an okay day, just not having comfortable feelings in my stomach and chest again. Although, it was not at bad. I was able to get around 5-6 hours if sleep on Sunday. Then same when woke up on Tuesday. Although on Wednesday I had to same feeling in my stomach and chest that I decided to go to the Emergency room. They gave me some Ativan and a cocktail for my reflux and ran a few blood test as well as a chest xray. I was able to get through the rest of the week pretty sluggish if you ask me with a little bit of chest tightness and little bit of discomfort in my stomach as well, and my resting heart rate was a little high as well. Well on Monday I was feeling kind of down and not feeling good, just stomach hurting a little and there. Well at around 6:45 I noticed that my heartrate had picked up. So I got up to go wash my face off and then I had a pretty bacd panic attack and went to the ER again. This doctor ran a bunch of blood test as well as another chst xray and gave me ativan through my IV and then oral precsription as well. He stated that all of the test he ran (a bunch of them) that everything looked normal. With the prescribed ativan I have had to use it twice. Yesterday and then Today as my nerves have been every where and could not get my heart rate down. I have a sceduled appoitment with my family doctor on Friday. What should I do to help calm down my nerves and stomache until I can get to my doctors appoitment?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
GERD, omeprazole,

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Welcome
I have gone through your query.
As all your tests and investigations are fine, the symptom that is discomfort in the upper part of the chest might be due to GERD.

I would suggest you few measures that will be beneficial , you can try them and see if there is any difference.
I would have prescribed you capsule omeprazole 20 mg once daily empty stomach, before breakfast for a week.
Avoid spicy and oily food for few days till the symptoms are resolved. Avoid or reduce the intake of meat, dairy products, and add more fiber to your diet. Eat lots of salads, vegetables, fresh fruits.
Avoid excess consumption of tea/ coffee/ carbonated drinks. Avoid smoking and alcohol, if any.
Eat frequent small meals instead of heavy ones and do not starve. Take plenty of water.
Eat light meals prepared under hygienic conditions. Avoid eating fast and talking while eating.
Do not lie down immediately after having food, walk for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep your head end of the bed slightly raised.
Regular exercise is very much essential. Brisk walk every day for 30 minutes in the morning and then slowly increase the duration if time permits. Follow this measures your symptoms should reduce.
The anxiety is responsible for increased heart beat, relax you are fine, it will reduce.

Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng