• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swollen tonsils

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: hello I have swollen tonsils at the moment this is my second time this year so far can I have them removed and what our the risks I am 53 years old have has this problem for the last 5 years am getting fed up with this problem having time of work everytime my tonsils swell what is your opinion thanks.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You do not need to get your tonsils removed because of two infections

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns. I do not think that they need removal just because you had two episodes of tonsillitis this year. As such, tonsils do not need to be removed unless you have such infections a number of times a year for three consecutive years. Nevertheless, your tonsils need to be examined.

Gargling with lukewarm water should provide relief. Your doctor would be able to say whether treatment with antibiotics is needed.

Any operative procedure has its risks. Risks range from minor infections to major infections, increased risk of morbidity (suffering) or mortality (death). I do not think that there is any reason to elaborate on the same. It would unnecessarily confuse you.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Thanks for your feed back and opinion but I will be getting other opinion I will be demanding to have them out I have been told by other people of my age it can be doneso some of you called doctors don't know XXXXXXX shit what a waste of money to ask a question on line what a rip off you people are want be using this service again and will be telling others of my experience with on line doctors .
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The way you sum up the facts has an important role to play

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You are free to get a second opinion. But in case of a visit to a doctor, he gets to collect vital pieces of information that you would otherwise need to substitute in case of an online consultation.

Medical science can be analogous to a crime investigation. If you can provide us (doctors) with the correct observations and investigation reports, the doctor can use his experience to correlate the facts, make out the possible offender and suggest the possible ways out. But if you just place a random piece of information and expect a great output, that is not always going to happen. In other words, when you are asking online, you yourself are the substitute for the observation that the doctor would have drawn. The worse you perform, the worse would be the output you can bring out of the doctor as the doctor is still in dark about vital pieces of information. It might not be a good idea to ask online unless you have the ability to make out what could be important in terms of the problem concerned.

Let me know if there is something specific I could help you with.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha