Suggest treatment for swollen tonsils

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: MY 15 YEAR OLD SON HAS SWOLLEN TONSILL ON THE LEFT SIDE AND HAS BEEN ON ANTIBOTICS BUT IT HASNT DONE ANYTHING. IT HAS GOTTEN WORSE ACTUALLY AND HE CAN BARELY OPEN HIS MOUTH. IT IS PRETTY PAINFUL. THE DOCTOR SAID IT WAS PHARANGITIS, BUT COULD IT BE SOMETHING ELSE?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually takes 5-7 days to see improvement

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. It usually takes 5-7 days to see improvement if disease is severe. If there is externally swelling near jaw bone then mumps could also be the causative factor. I would suggest you to wait for completion of antibiotic. Meanwhile add following general measures as well:

- Make sure he does not eat outside cooked food. Cook food at home.
- Take hot water in a cup, add 1 table spoon salt in it. Perform gargles (mouth wash) with it three times a day for at least 3 days. It will give soothing effect.
- Acetaminophen suspension - 1 TSF thrice a day

AVOID:
> Chilled water
> Drinks
> Spicy food

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!