question-icon

Suggest treatment for swollen right ankle

Posted on Thu, 21 May 2015
Question: Have swollen rt ankle after 14 days. Leg went to sleep and when I stepped down, the ankle did a hard roll.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query.

You have an ankle sprain you might have stretched or torn an ligament on your leg.This causes swelling and pain.The treatment consist in rest,ice, elevation of the leg and anti-inflammation drugs.
The totally recovery may take 4-6 weeks because ligaments take time to heal properly.If your pain is mild and you are able to put some weight on your foot, you may need just to give it some more time to heal.
During this time you should try to put as weight as you are comfortable in the affected ankle.Using ice packs and an elastic bandage can help to decrease the swelling.
Take Ibuprofen (Advil or Aleve) for the pain.
There is no other specific treatment in these cases,just need to give it some more time to heal.
Soon you should focus on the rehabilitation of the ankle doing stretching exercises.Your doctor will guide you with the necessary exercises.
If the ankle is still very painful and the symptoms doesn't seem to improve ,you may need to consult your physician.
He or she may order X-rays to make sure you don't have a broken bone in the ankle or foot. A broken bone can have similar symptoms of pain and swelling.
If your symptoms are improving ,the pain is reducing and you can put some weight in the ankle ,then you don't need to worry.Just give it some more time to heal.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati