Suggest treatment for swollen red area on leg after insect bite

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was bit by something, maybe a spider not sure last week while sleeping in a hotel in Daytona Beach. It's on the back side of my leg opposite of my knee, at the bend. It's been a week, I iced it, put benydral insect bite stuff on it. It's swollen and red. no other symptoms right now. I thinking I was bit several times I don't see any bite marks.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....looks like it is infected
Detailed answer...
Your history suggests that it is due to some insect bite only although there is no visible bite mark.
Normally such tupe of swelling and redness goes away in 4-5 days.
Persistence of swelling and rednes for more than a week suggests,that it has developed infection in it.
You must consult your doctor for the prescription of antibiotic.
I presume that you are not diabetic,because uncontrolled diabetes helps in flaring of infection.
Icing won't have any effect now.
Keep taking ibuprofen for pain and swelling.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T