Suggest treatment for swollen painful toe

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Lump
Question: I hurt my pinkie toe a couple of weeks ago, and have stubbed twice since then. It has been hurting with shoes on, but noticed last night that it is swollen?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be fracture or soft tissue injury.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling in toe after repeated injury is likely to be due to a mild fracture in the phalanx or due to a soft tissue injury. Avoid wearing shoes specially tight fitting leather shoes.
You can strap the little finger with the adjacent finger with the help of a tape. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows at night while resting. Doing a hot fomentation in the area will also help. You can also take a mild anti inflammatory like Aleve for relief.
In case there is a considerable swelling with acute pain or skin color changes then it is best to consult your physician and get an X-ray done.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
It is the little toe not finger. No bruising. What is hot formentation? The pain is not that bad. Bothers me most with shoes on. Will take your advice.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hot compress the area.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If there is no bruising then there is no need to worry. Hot fomentation means a hot compress in the area for 15 minutes three times a day. You can use a wet towel soaked in hot water for or a hot water bag for that.
It is best to avoid shoes for next 2 weeks.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thank you. I will need to wear shoes when going out, but will keep them off otherwise.
Brief Answer:
That will help.

Detailed Answer:
Yes. That will help.
Avoid massaging the area. You can also apply a local analgesic gel over it for relief.
Regards.