Suggest treatment for swollen painful ankle after injury

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi. About a week ago I hit my ankle pretty hard on a metal table leg. It swelled up and was painful to walk. After icing it, wrapping it and taking some ibuprofen I was able to walk on it with minimal pain. My ankle is still slightly swollen. It's not very painful to walk however when I sit down my foot throbs and I have pain shooting yo my calf and shin. I am also starting to have pain in my knee. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Maleolar Fractures should be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Ideally the ankle should have been examined there and then after the trauma. X rays should have been done to look for dislocation or fracture. It may still be an ankle sprain with sore muscles and attachments. AP lateral and mortise x rays can be advised. If there is soft tissue swelling alone then NSAIDs like diclofenac , topical voltral emulgel along with bed rest and soft ankle band can be advised. If a maleolar fractures are suspected then open reduction and internal fixation would be required if the fragments lie displaced. Please consult an orthopedic surgeon in this regard.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil