Suggest treatment for swollen oral skin tag

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Swollen oral skin tag. Inside mouth on the cheek
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a fibroma or torn inflamed mucosa due to biting.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your health concern..

As per your query a swollen skin tag can be due to a few reasons like:

1. Torn buccal mucosa due to cheek bite which is swollen due to inflammation..

2.It can be Traumatic fibroma caused due to continuous trauma in that area of mucosa caused by any sharp tooth or cheek bite or dental prosthesis..

3.Less commonly it can be inflammation of the opening of the duct of Parotid salivary gland..

All these conditions are harmless and you should consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated for a confirmatory diagnosis so that treatment can be done..

You can also update me back with a few answers like:
1. Do you have pain in the skin tag?
2.Do you have cheek bite habit or any sharp tooth or due you wear partial or complete dentures?

-If possible send me a picture of the lesion for better understanding and providing you a better information towards treatment..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 10 minutes later
No pain or sharp tooth. I am icing it does appear to be helping
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fine.. Seems nothing serious..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome again..

If there is no pain or any sharp tooth then it seems to be a torn mucosa due to accidental cheek biting..
It will shed off on its own and icing will have no role in it..

In case if it is a Fibroma then you will have to get it removed by a minor surgical procedure by an Oral Surgeon..

It would still be better if you send an image..

Else consult a dentist and get clinically evaluated for a confirmatory diagnosis..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.