Suggest treatment for swollen lymphnode

Posted on Fri, 16 May 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Woke up this morning with a swollen gland on right side. Hurts alot to the touch. No fever, cold symptoms, little tired more like "worn out". Does not hurt to swollow. About 2 inches from lower back of my ear, it feels a little, very little sore. But gland is big and painful to the touch. Came on like I said when I woke up this am. Slept good all night. Just feeling very tired today. What can I take or do? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a Neck Ultrasound (USG) done.

2. If the lymph node is solitary and below one centimeter in the widest diameter, avoid any antibiotics. the drainage area of that particular group of lymph nodes can then be checked.

3. Request a prescription for supportive medication such as an anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory and get a routine blood test done.

4. If it does not subside in a few days, consider an FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology).

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist