• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes in the neck

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in General Health
Question: It seems like my lymph node on the right side of my neck is swollen. I feel a lump on the side of my neck about 2 inches in diameter. Also underneath the right side of my tongue feels weird and swollen too. After I eat it feels like I am getting a cramp on the inside, right side of my mouth under my tongue. Just happened today and symptoms seem to get worse after I eat.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do you have any symptoms of cold?

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully. Your concerns are genuine but do not point to any concerning disease condition. Swollen lymph nodes rear are related to cancers, the most feared, do not develop in a day. They develop over long periods and they are a lot bigger in size. The described swollen nodes are probably in response to a viral infection than anything else. I will like to know whether you have had a cold recently or any infection around the head and neck region.

For now, monitor only. Avoid picking on it often as this causes soreness and pain. If you note any changes: Pain, increased size, etc., kindly let me know.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. I have not had a cold/flu in several years, it doesn't feel like I am coming down with a cold now and I don't have any infections around the head or neck area. The symptoms get worse after each meal and then subside again. For example: The discomfort and swelling underneath the right side of my tongue along with the cramping sensation only happens after I eat a meal. Also the swelling of the lymph node is only slightly visible in the mirror right now but after a meal it really balloons up and becomes very obvious. Could I be experiencing a food intolerance/allergic reaction? I eat very healthy but the only thing different that I have been doing over the past couple of weeks is eating chilies every day. Could that be the culprit (hopefully not)? I have been adding half a jalapeno pepper to my scrambled egg for breakfast and I had hummus with mild cocktail peppers and cayenne pepper for lunch. I was planning on having shishito peppers as an appetizer with dinner tonight. I don't have peppers with every meal but I am eating them regularly enough for the past two weeks. Could this have anything to do with this swelling and discomfort after breakfast and lunch today?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
None!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed these details and none seems to be able to allow for this. I will simply recommend that you monitor this lymph node for changes in size. One thing I can say for sure is that there is no emergency at this time.

If the lymph node continues to grow, then we will consider a further evaluation. For now, I'm not convinced about the need for that.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Keep me updated about this.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Chobufo Ditah