Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes in the groin area

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: The lynph node on the right side if my groin is swollen and it has been swollen for two weeks now. It started very swollen and has gone down in size. When it started everyone at my house was sick but i wasnt. It is nit so seollen anymore but it is still mildly swollen. What can this be? Should i be worried?
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably it is due to infection....

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic.

It would be great if you could give me more info about why everyone at your house was sick,or at least what symptoms did they have ?

I have gone through your history and my answer is as follows:

The main reasons to have swollen lymph nodes in the position that you described are:

-infection in our leg. Even an infection of the skin of the leg can cause swollen lymph nodes, or folliculitis (infection/inflammation of hair follicle)

- infection of the testicle or in some cases even an urinary tract infection
- any STD
- any malignancy(in your case i don't think that we have this problem)

There are a lot of other conditions that can cause the swollen lymph nodes that you've described but I don't think that these other conditions (lymphoma, malignancies etc.) are the problem.

Since your lymph nodes are not so swollen anymore, it means they are in the healing process. Probably it was just due to the inflammation from a benign reason (infection of skin, hair follicle) and now your body got rid of the infection.

All the signs that you have (no pain,getting better ect.) correlate with a benign problem.

I sugest to do an urine routine microscopy test just to be sure that you do not have an urinary tract infection.

Also I suggest to do a consult with your physician to do a visual exam of that skin of your leg. If there are signs of an infection, s/he will prescribe antibiotics accordingly.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Endri Katro

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee