Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes in the groin area

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 2 Dec 2016 in General Health
Question: Dear doc,

Earlier I wrote to you regarding my fears of being exposed to hiv after various encounters at massage parlours.I want to provide more details and concerns as this fear is ruining my life. The only sexual experiences in my life are Nude full body massage, hand job, body to body rub in 2 occasions where I was nude and the girl was wearing disposable panties. The girl was also cautious and I am confident that there was no direct contact between penis and vagina. Worst case scenario would be the vaginal fluids dripping down her thighs and got rubbed against my penis head. I am circumsized. Other concern was not having checked the hands anytime prior to massage. I don't notice girls touching themselves so I assume no vaginal fluids on their hands. I am concerned about small shaving cuts or abrasions near my pubic area which happened about an hour ago.during shaving. Also as I am circumcized, is my glans which is a mucous membrane openly exposed increasing the risk?

Symptoms: This is what has been shaking me for over a past month. Started with sudden hot flashes in sleep followed by chills and sweat. No noticeable fever though But body felt extremely hot especially the part in contact with bed. The feeling persisted over 2 weeks along with fatigue dry mouth, loss of appetite & diarrhea for a week. Over the next 2 weeks Constant itching under armpit and groin area, stuffy nose, mild sore throat and mild fever which subsided after 3 days of taking homeopathic medicine. Itchy papular rashes on arms and trunk which formed black scabs. Meanwhile the fungal infection worsened.. Initially it started as constant itching on the right side inner thigh and testis region. During the same time I found a swollen lymph node near my right groin. The skin around the lymph node turned red and started to hurt a bit. But if I palpate the lymph node itself it does not hurt. Redness disappeared quickly after 3-4 days. I went to GP a week later and he said it's a fungal infection and prescribed Tyzaa 250 mg and a zole cream (non steroid) for 2 weeks. After using the medication for 10 days, I could not find any relief but instead the condition seemed to be worsening. Of course I ignored hygiene as I was taking medication and thought they would do their job. But the condition got worse that it formed some red painful pus filled sores as I well. I also started getting little red non itchy papules on my arms at places. I went to dermatologist immediately and he said the same that I have a good fungal infection and few papular lesions over trunk and arms..Papular urticaria was the term he used. He prescribed onabet cream, sebifin 250 mg. I used them for 2 days and I dint feel whether any of that is working. Pus boils appeared in the area ofinfection with lot of pain and swelling. I went back to GP he said It's a bacterial infection now with pus abcesses. He prescribed strong antibiotics forr 5 days. I used them and most of the abcesses drained and feeling little better. But the lymph node still persist and it seems like it will not go.

2. Is my groin lymph node swelling due to the fungal infection? Lymph node is swollen more in right groin where the infection is worse. Left groin node is mildly swollen but still swollen.

3. Can I associate the small Papular rashes on my arms to this fungal infection. I read some thing called dermatophyte ID reactions. So Could this be some kind of body's allergic reaction to fungus? If not is it worrisome.

4.I started applying momate lotion on the rashes and they started to fade a bit. Is it a good sign that the rashes are trivial?

5. Does my overall scenario looks worrisome? And do you feel I need to test for reasons other than psychological satisfaction?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back to HCM.

Body to body rubbing and handjob are non risky activities for HIV so don't get to anxious or worried. The symptoms are related to some other bacterial or fungal infection as said by your doctor. Follow the treatment regime as per the advice and it will be fine soon. Be relaxed, forget about the past and move ahead in life. For any further query feel free to ask me any time and I am here to help you.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Thank you so much Sir!

I feel like giving a big hug to you at this moment.

Also I have a doubt regarding circumcision. I am circumsized long ago during childhood. Generally it is said that the glans penis skin is a mucous membrane. So in absence of foreskin is it that my mucous membrane is exposed and increases vulnerability? Also is the urethral opening itself a mucous membrane or mucosal lining is present far inside?

Also in the reports, I have attached the pictures of rashes i experienced. Both initial pictures and the scars they left. Have you seen the pictures? and are they of concern?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The pictures are not of much concern.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Even though you are circumcised you need not to worry about the exposure you are talking about because the mucous membrane of urethra is also protective for HIV and the risk in your case is already very unlikely or practically nil so just calm down. All the pictures you have attached are not of much concern as they settle down with treatment so be relaxed and move ahead in life happily.

Thank You