Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes behind the ear

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2016 in Cancer
Question: Hi there i am a 28 year old female. I have found a very amal lump behind my right ear (right in the crease). Its soft moveable not painful. There is aways another one same side right next to it just a but closer to the hairline. (This one has shrunk in size) smaller then a pea. Couple days later i found another one on the left side of my neck( feels smal and moveable almost on a bone?(located on the left side of my neck below my ear lope begind my jaw). I am having really bad anxiety about this and i have had a back pains a slight tickly cough. I starting having night sweats 6 months ago but i am on lexapro? Also some fatigue. I like to take a few minute naps during the day then i am fine. I have also felt light pain right below my rips when i push there in my abdomen.

I have seen three doctors. One felt the lumps and said no worries and that they will go away. The next gave be a blood count test and chest xray both came back normal. The third doctor said i shouldnt loose sleep over it. But i am terrified of lymphoma. Is this sound like lymphoma? What do i need to watch for?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

Your symptoms do not sound immediately concerning for lymphoma. I strongly doubt that you were dealing with anything like lymphoma at all.

It is common to have occasional swelling of lymph nodes. This occurs in reaction to viruses or related to environmental allergies.lymph node swelling may persist for a few weeks and then me slowly fade away.

The fact that you have had normal blood tests and her normal chest x-ray also goes against the possibility of lymphoma.

if you notice that these lymph nodes persist or gradually increase in size over time then it may be reasonable to revisit this with your doctor but again I very much doubt this will be a problem for you.

I realize you have anxiety related to this which is understandable. But again you have seen multiple medical professionals and have adequate reassurance that you are otherwise healthy.

it is important for you to focus on maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regimen. Try to focus on positive thinking as well. It might be reasonable for you to schedule follow-up examination with your doctor for extra reassurance if you would like. You might set an appointment for two or three months from now if this will help you feel better.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 hours later
What types of symptoms would I need to look for or keep an eye on?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
hello again,

Other symptoms to bring to the attention of your doctor would be unexplained weight loss, new lymph node swelling elsewhere in the body, unexplained fevers during the day, bleeding or bruising.

Otherwise focus on eating a healthy well balance diet, get plenty of rest and be sure to exercise at least 3-4 days per week as well.

sincerely,

Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D