Suggest treatment for swollen lymph node like bump in pubic area

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I'm wondering if this bump is a swollen lymph node, the coloration is due to my trying to pop it. I'm unclear if this is a normal spot to get them, I've looked at different diagrams and some seem to just show the
on the thigh but others show them going onto the pubic mound like mine. It's very close to the surface, no more than a centimeter if that, and it moves with the skin like its attached. It's definitely above some of the fat of my pubic mound and I've had it for a few months
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
?? Probably irritated or inflamed follicle or harmless cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Based on the current presentation and attached images I suspect it could be an irritated follicle or a harmless cyst.

In such cases, the cyst or the irritate follicle self resolves without really requiring any treatment. But just make sure you do not irritate it, do not shave for a while, and avoid friction burns to the region.

I would not really recommend anything as long the presentation is causing your discomfort. So for the time being, a warm compress or hot pack to the region 3-4 times a day should more than suffice sir.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Does anything about the location make it unlikely that it a lymph node? Sorry for the follow up, I'm irrationally paranoid about this
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cannot completely be ruled out at this point, that is true

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir.

Please do not apologise, you have every right to get all your questions answered, so do not hesitate to write to me.

The truth is that the region does have many lymph nodes, and by you picking on it, the redness could have been triggered. Although it is unlikely from the attached images, it can only be ruled out/confirmed after a physical examination and a few supporting laboratory investigations.

For now, with the fact that you have been picking on it, folliculitis seems more likely to me. But then as I have mentioned, in all honesty only a physical examination and laboratory analysis can accurately diagnosed your presentation.

Best wishes :)
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 14 minutes later
I did at one point get a thick snake like puss to come out, is that indicative of anything?
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis it is!! :)

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir.

That points towards my initial diagnosis of folliculitis, and so lymph node swelling is very very unlikely. Good piece of information, and you have your diagnosis right there. :)

Best wishes. :)
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Thank you very much for your help
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It was my pleasure to be of help

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Wishing you the best and nothing less.
Dr. Shoaib Khan