Suggest treatment for swollen lump behind the ear

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Lump
Question: In the last 72 hrs. have noticed a lump fiest starting behind my ear, in the last 48 hrs. it appears to have moved downward below the ear lobe, Is swollen and feels like an ingrown hair as far as discomfort.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Lump behind Ear/Under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Lump behind Ear/Under Investigation

Hi,Thanks for your query to HCM.
I understood your query and health concern,but there is more to be learnt about the following points before I could reply your needs.

Please update me the photograph of the lump region,as it would give me the inspection finding.
So before I could opine and suggest treatment , as asked during the interaction,I would need further information-
Is this post-auricular Lump, painful to touch?
what is its size?Whether it is soft/ or hard while you press it?
Any throbbing pain?Any general fever,malaise with it?
Any such swelling in the past?
Any history of diabetes in the past or currently
Any history of Trauma or scratching before?
Any history of medicines being taken currently or in the past?
Update the photograph of the lump region, if you can?

My primary Impression-
Based on your facts,In My opinion this lump of your's, seems to be of benign nature,as it has developed in last 72 hours only without any history of past such tumors
and needs further information to say if non-cancerous / or of infective nature.
But still on the given information,as the lump started first behind ear and progressed down below earlobe level in 72 hours,it seems to be of infective nature.
But these possibilties needs to be confirmed more detailed information from You.

Remedy-
Till I get the above information-
Hot Compresses
Don't squeeze or handle it.
Antibiotics like Amoxycillin ,
with NSAID,like Motrin with script from your doctor would help you.

Please ask specific query which you need to resolve by this interaction.
Welcome for any further in this regard

Await further information till the next session soon,after which further suggestions would be given.
Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar, XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina