Suggest treatment for swollen lump behind ear

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have had some swelling and a lumpy area behind my ear about 1.5" in diameter since thursday. It feels like a boil that hasnt came to a head yet, mostly uncomfortable. What is this likely to be, I dont recall a bite or getting hit in that area
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
possible lymph node or ateroma

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.
In this area most commonly we see swollen lymlh node or ateroma. some other subcutaneous lesions are less common such as fibroma or lipoma. It may also be unnoticed bite or injury. Swollen lymlh node may occur as a reaction to some infection, such as respiratory or ear infection,it will subside as infection heals. Ateroma is sweling of subcutanoeus gland that become clogged and enlarged.it can be surgically managed and removed in every case but you should wait for several days or week and see will it grow. if redness or pus secretion ocur ,you should see doctor sooner. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon