Suggest treatment for swollen labia

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 15 May 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I am 45 yo Latin female , 2 weeks ago my left labia started becoming tender and is swollen and hanging now. it is painful to urinate as of 4 days ago. I started 4 days ago with sudden onset of left side pain front and back from breasts down pain is excruciating when it comes on and within 10 minutes after urinating and some gas expelled the pain is gone. The episodes come on randomly - up to 1-2 q 24 hrs . I have taken gas medication with no difference. The area above the Labia (Pubic where hair grows) is as of 2 days ago I noticed is hanging down some now too .
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hernia or bartholin cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
I have reviewed the photograph.
The photograph and the symptoms are suggestive of either inguinal hernia or bartholin cyst.
Since the labia is hanging down and the pain is in the abdomen too, the diagnosis of hernia seems more plausible.
I will suggest you to consult an OBGYN specialist for proper examination, investigations and treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 47 minutes later
If hernia where would it most likely be? And why would with cause problems with my urinating
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bladder or urethra may be involved

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Hernia can be through femoral canal or through inguinal canal.
Sometimes, bladder or urethra gets stretched in hernia, hence there are urinary complains.
However, exact diagnosis can be made by proper examination.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana