Suggest treatment for swollen labia and cluster of bumps over it

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
Three days ago my vagina started to itch so I Immediately went to the pharmacy and go me some Miconazole. I notice my labia minora started to get swollen from the infection. However, Three days have passed my itching has calm down but my labia minora is still swollen. Furthermore, on one side of my Labia minora close to the clitoris I have small cluster of bumps that run along the edge of the Labia minora.
Do I have warts or something else? I'm going to my gyno next week but I don't think I can handle this another day. It's very frustrating.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send the good resolution pictures

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for swollen labia and cluster of bumps over it. As per your decription it does not appear as warts because warts are not accompanied with any symptom of swelling or discomfort.

In view to help and guide you best and diagnose the exact entity I request you to please upload few good resolution pictures of the affected area so that I can analyze it better. Kindly send good resolution pictures focusing the area of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on: YYYY@YYYY "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"The pictures will be confidential and will not be available for anyone else to see except me.

Also kinldy let me know any history of unprotectd sex in recent past.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swollen labia and cluster of bumps over it 27 minutes later
Thank you. Here are some pictures. The itching its a little bettter but at night is the worst . ( only itches on the inside of the vagina and labia minora)

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Candidal vulvovaginitis with possibility of herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello young lady,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your swift follow up with pictures. After analyzing the pictures and correlating with your history let me first reassure you that the condition is not at all related to warts. I can make out two possibilities in your case:

-Candidal vulvovaginitis: If you can see in the pictures there is quite deep redness in labia. This is an indicator of yeast infection by candida. That is why application of miconazole cream helped you a bit.

-The bumps are indicating towards a viral infection most probably herpes. This is the reason of swelling near the interoitus and clitoris region. A close physical examination is must to confirm. In your kind of cases I prefer to go for blood tests for Herpes including HSV 1 & 2 IgM and IgG for the best confirmation.

I asked you regarding history of unprotected sex in recent past. So do let me know about the same.

For the interim of help kindly follow the suggestions below:
- Keep your self away from hot and humid climate.

- Take two times bath.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments.

- Do cold compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition.

- Do not sit continuously for long hours.

-You can continue to apply anti-fungal cream. Apply the cream in thinnest possible amount so that it should not be visible to the naked eye.
-You can take oral anti histamine like loratadine (Claritin) two times a day under medial advise if there is itching is present.

-Don't try to scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem.

I hope these infirmations will help you. I will be gald to help you any further.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD -Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swollen labia and cluster of bumps over it 4 hours later
Thank you for your help.
I have never seen these bump before. My last check up was two years ago and i didnt have anything. I havent been with a sexual partner sense then. Recently I startered to see another guy, we had intercorse for the first time three weeks ago. However, he told me that he needs to be checked for his work.
Herpes was the last thing I wanted to hear. Thank you for your advice. I will get all those test done. I read about herpes, it says that i might get busting blisters. When would i get them? Also Is there a possibility that it could be something not as
serious?
Thank you again. Great help

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your condition is not at all serious & is simple

Detailed Answer:
Hello young lady,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up.

Let me first and foremost reassure you that your condition is not at all serious and does not have any troublesome impact.

Let you understand the simple nature of the condition. My probable diagnosis of herpes is just one possibility and not the final diagnosis. It is just based on pictures you have sent and requires further confirmation by a physical examination by a doctor as well as by tests.

The bumps can also be due to friction or infection. So just don't be disheartened. Even if it comes out to be herpes then also it is one of the simple viral infection. I reassure you for the simple nature of the condition...so just relax first.

I can make out that you had recent episode of sex with a new guy. Just be cautious now and do not forget to use protection now and always to be safe.

Follow the suggestions to relive your symptoms and do let me know the test results.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia