Suggest treatment for swollen gum and tongue

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Last week I developed very swollen cheeks, swelling and tenderness under my tongue, and largish, hard and sore whitish bumps along lower inner gum line. It is painful. I have swished my mouth with mouthwash and clear thread-like pieces come out of my mouth with small, brown/rust coloured specks in them. Do I have parasites?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tooth/gum infection, cellulitis, medication, consult oral physician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the swelling over the cheek and below the tongue can be a periapical abscess leading to cellulitis secondary to tooth or gum infection.
Nothing to be panic, consult a oral physician and get it evaluated. You need to get radiographs done to confirm the diagnosis. Mean while you can take a course of antibiotics like amoxicillin and metronidazole (if you are not allergic). Do saline gargling. The swelling should subside in 2 days. Once the diagnosis is confirmed we can treat it accordingly.
I hope I have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T