Suggest treatment for swollen glands behind the ears

Posted on Tue, 28 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Have swollen gland behind both ears. They come and go, have had this problem for 2 1/2 months. Have taken antibiotics for 2 weeks though this problem still returns.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic Lymphadenitis with recurrent lumps behind ears.

Detailed Answer

I studied and reviewed it in all the details put forth by you and I am convinced of your genuine health concerns you suffered for last 2.5 mths. Based on your description, my impression currently is Chronic Lymphadenitis with recurrent lumps behind ears. I would like few updates on the information about these lumps as follows
a) AT 78-how is your General Health ?
b) Any associated illnesses at this age?
c) Whether any FNAC Biopsy / metabolic panel /ESR tests done so far ? if not send the current status, please update
d) Any pains you had with these lumps ?Any increase in size of these lumps in last 2 mths? Do you have Scalp infections or Dandruff you suffer from lately
e) Any evening rise in fever / morning stiffness and fibromaylgia over last few mths ?

Till the time I get updates on these points, I have few important Health Tips for you to recover
i- Start Anti-inflammatory pain killers like ibuprofen 400mg twice daily for 5 days time. Hope you are not allergic to ibuprofen or have a renal problem / ulcer issues where ibuprofen is contraindicated.
ii- Start-Anti-Histaminics like zyrtec for 5 days
iii- Plenty of fluids
iv- Multivitamin with vitamin C supplement for 5 days

Review after reports as asked from you

Hope this would take care of your problem. Wishing you fast recovery.

Wish you early recovery.

M.S.-GENL-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 15 hours later
a. My general health is fair. b. have high blood pressure and irregular heart beat. c. Had a ultra sound test and that is it. d.there has been tightness in my glands when they swell up and then in a hour or so they stop swelling. In the morning my gland are really swollen. e. There has been no fever though warm to touch when they swell. No stiffness or fibromaylhia
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute on-Chronic lymphadenitis with lumps behind ears

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the update information.(2nd f/up reply-7.6.15)

Based on the facts given from you in this and the last info, I feel you have acute on lymphadenitis which is not responding to antibiotics. I would advise a consultation from ENT Surgeon and Surgeon to fix the cause of your Ear node recurrence, if the following changed treatment does not give the expected relief to you. If symptoms persists, I would advise following suggestions for treatment to be taken care by your doctor-
a- Check with your doctor -for any focus of Infection in the scalp and in the ear / pharynx?
b- Change the antibiotics preferably to Ofloxacin with Ornidazole instead of amoxicillin.
c- Add anti-inflammatory
d- Add Tab multi vitamin to boost up general health.
e- High protein bland liquid diet would recoup your health response fast

Despite these options if symptoms persist beyond 2 weeks, the I will recommend:
i- IGRA blood test and PPD skin test (Mantoux Test)-to rule out any latent or old TB of lymphadenits
ii- FNAC Biopsy of the Ear lymphnodes, which would fix the cause and rule out any cancerous cause or chronic infective cause and could be treated accordingly from your Surgeon.

Hope this would resolve your issue in next 2 wks time.

With Regards,
Dr.Savaskar M.N
Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon