Suggest treatment for swollen gland behind ear

Posted on Wed, 9 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a gland on the left side of my face. It starts behind the ear and goes around to just past the corner of my cheek bone. I was told once it was a saliva gland and to suck on lemon drops to get it to drain. I tried it this time and it did not work. What is the parotid.?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
May be the parotid swelling

Detailed Answer:
Hi Madam,
I have gone through your query; it suggests that you may be suffering from the left side of the parotid swelling.

For your kind information parotid glands are the two largest major salivary glands. One is located in each cheek over the jaw in front of the ears. Lemon drops or citrus fruits increase the secretion of the saliva not draining; but draining depends upon the patency of the salivary duct.

Parotid swelling may be acute or chronic and or inflammatory or non-inflammatory.To rule out the other disease or to reach the near diagnosis you may go for the USG of the neck.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 45 hours later
what is USG?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasonography

Detailed Answer:
Hi Madam,

I am sorry. It's a medical jargon. It refers to ultrasound scan, a diagnostic sonography. Ultrasonography is an radiological imaging technique based on the application of ultrasound. It is used to see internal body structures such as muscles, gland, vessels and internal organs. This test will help us diagnose this lump.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist