Suggest treatment for swollen fordyce or molluscum

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: swollen fordyce or molluscum? scrapped off other day by accident and bled for a while it looks to be healing....had molluscum 2 years ago but it cleared up....praying its not back
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eruptions are simple prominence of hair roots only

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand the concern for the eruptions at your genital area as shown in your pictures.

After analyzing the pictures I can make out the eruptions are simple prominence of hair roots only. These are neither fordyce's gland and nor molluscum contagiousum too.

If you you can see these are multiple skin colored very minute eruptions just at the base of roots of hair. The reason for the prominence is because of the thinnest skin over the penile area making the roots more visible and prominent.

There is nothing to be worried about the same and do not worry about molluscum at all.

I hope these information will relax you. I will glad to help you any further.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases.
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 minutes later
thanks for putting my mind to rest, after being infected with molluscum for so long i got use to what it looked like and this didnt look like it....more of a swollen fordyce before it popped.....ive been putting benzoyl peroxide on the area and avoid sex with my partner until it clears up....any other precausions?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No touching, pinching or popping the area.

Detailed Answer:
Dear young fellow,

Welcome back and thanks a lot for your so swift follow up.

I an glad to know that you are relaxed now. There is no need to apply benzoyl peroxide on the same as will not help you in anyways and can also irritate the soft skin.

The only precaution or suggestion is to not to unnecessarily touch, pinch or pop the area as can get inflamed.

I hope these information's will relax you completely. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer.

For any future guidance regarding skin or related conditions you can ask me directly at:

bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 minutes later
just to be clear, you do see the red spot i am talking ab in the picture correct?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No molluscum contagiosum at all.

Detailed Answer:
Dear young buddy,

Welcome back and thanks a lot for your swift follow up.

There is nothing abnormal in the picture so just relax and there is no sign of molluscum contagiousum at all. Do not get panicky. As per the pictures you have provided I firmly declare that you do not have molluscum contagiosum at all.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia