Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for swollen foot

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4852 Questions
My boyfriends foot has been swollen for over a week. Went to urgent care and was put on antibiotiotics. 2 days later they called and said they saw a "foreign object" on the xrsys. Wanted him to come back. We did so and its still swollen. They said its a piece of bone up near his big toe and second toe. The pain is better but its still swollen and red. My Dr looked at it quick on Friday and suggested to still take antibiotic and to go to er if it wasn't better in a fsy. To me, I think he should go. Urgent care wanted him to go a few days ago to get IV antibiotics. He's being stubborn. What should we do? Also, what do they do about that piece of bone? He can't even put a shoe on! I need some help and advice.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please provide the photo of boyfriend swollen foot Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through the medical history of your boyfriend and understood your concerns. Before running into conclusions, may I have the photos of your boyfriend's swollen foot. That will help me assist him further. According to your saying, if the urgent care asked for IV antibiotics, then, it is a must to take them IV. Usually, oral antibiotics will take longer to get effect. If the ER decided for IV antibiotics, it was because they noticed that swollen foot was related to severe infection and immediate antibiotics needed iv, and not to wait until the oral antibiotics would take effect. Looking forward to have the photos of the swollen foot of your boyfriend! Thank you! Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swollen foot 7 minutes later
I sent the pic of his foot. Yes they said IV antibiotics should be done. We haven't gone to er yet. I'm worried because he wants to work tomorrow and I think he should have a hospital check it out first. He could cause more damage if not looked at by hospital here. Did you get the pic? I also pressed on it and the mark took a while to go away.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly attach at: YYYY@YYYY Detailed Answer: Hi, Unfortunately, I did found any picture uploaded. Can you please attach to the following e-mail address: YYYY@YYYY with the subject line: "Attention to Dr.Albana Sejdini". Although he is taking oral antibiotics, to my judgement, he needs to get further treatment first for few days. Then, after the foot is healed, he can go back to work as usually. Looking forward to receive the pictures by e-mail! Thank you! Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swollen foot 13 minutes later
Just sent a few pictures. Please get back to me. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Advised to go to ER as soon as possible... Detailed Answer: Hi back, I have gone through the pictures and although the poor quality of the photos, I have noticed the red and swollen foot of your boyfriend. I usually treat my patients with the same problems as your boyfriend with IV antibiotics for up to 3 days. After that, oral antibiotics are prescribed for longer. At this point, try to convince your boyfriend to go to ER, get IV antibiotics and local treatment. I also suggest to discuss with his doctor to determine what type of foreign object is inside and how can it get out after redness and swelling are improved. I did not notice his skin to be damaged (lacerated); only swollen and red. I advise to apply cold compresses to the affected area until you go to ER although pain is reduced. Once again, he is not able to go to work as things might get worse if he moves the foot. The foreign object might cause other damages if not taking proper care. At the end, try to convince him to go to ER and get proper treatment in time. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Albana
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor