Suggest treatment for swollen foot with dark blood spots post injury

Question
My husband stepped on a large bolt on a construction site a few days ago. He went to urgent care and is taking an antibiotic. He also received a tetanus shot as he was long overdue. Now his foot is badly swollen and it looks like there is internal bleeding as there are dark red and purple spots across the top of three of his toes. Is this something we should worry about, or will ice and elevation be the best remedy?
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let him return to the ER!

Detailed Answer:

Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am concerned this could be an expanding infection that requires minor surgery to take off all the death tissue and facilitate healing. Ice and elevation are sufficient when there is no risk for an infection. The information you have provided alongside him being on antibiotics suggests an infection and we need not take any chances with this at home.

In all, it is something you should be worried about. Let him return to the ER for further evaluation and treatment. If they think it is nothing to worry about, I would only accept this after a proper examination and not otherwise.

I hope this helps. I wish your husband well. Thank you so much for trusting us with your question and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.