Suggest treatment for swollen face

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: My wife has a swollen face from behind her left ear and jawline. The swelling came on suddenly last night and is sensitive to the touch. She is anxious about it, hence my queer to you! Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She is suffering from a viral infection that occurs with cold.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

What you describe seems consistent with parotitis or the inflammation of parotid gland. It is a gland that secretes saliva and is located just below the ear and at the angle of jaw on either side. Such a thing occurs due to certain viral infections. Treatment is supportive. The things to be done are:
* Apply hot compress alternating with cold compress.
* Give paracetamol or acetaminophen thrice a day for next few days, preferably in full stomach.
* Ask her to gurgle with lukewarm water.

Usually it is not something to worry about and generally subsides in 5-7 days or lesser.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar