Suggest treatment for swollen face and tonsils

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I have a very large lymph node on the right side of my neck that is as big if not a little bigger than a golf ball. The glands behind my neck are also very swollen only on the right side. My face is very swollen and I have had a sharp pain in my right ear. My tonsils are also extremely swollen to the point where it is very hard to swallow and they have white and yellow spots all over them. I have a persistent cough and am extremely tired and dizzy all of the time. I am a very active person but now after walking across the room i can't catch my breath. I seem to have lost my appetite and my stomach gets upset occasionally. I was just wondering with all of these symptoms if I should be worried? Also, I have had strep multiple times this year and have had a cough for about 5 months now. I did visit the doctor about 3 weeks ago and took antibiotics for my strep throat, which then went away for about a week or two and now I am already sick again. They did take an X ray of my chest but then never called me with the results. I am hesitant to go to the doctor again because they usually just tell me what I already know and don't give me anything to feel better. Any advice would be helpful.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chronic to nsillitis with lymphadenopathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You are having chronic tonsil infection with lymph nodes enlargement. The possible reason for lymph node enlargement is tonsillitis but as you are saying it is unilateral lymphadenopathy and that too a very large one, it needs to be investigated.
As per my Clinical experience you should get a fnac done from the lymph node and also get a throat swab for culture sensitivity done from the tonsil. These tests will tell us the cause of infection and also that if there is any relation between the tonsil infection with lymph nodes enlargement.

Take antibiotics only after you give samples for the tests.
For symptomatic relief take a combination of diclofenac and serratiopeptidase twice daily.
Use hexidine gargles.
All the medicines I prescribed are available only on prescription.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad