Suggest treatment for swollen eyes

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 28 Jul 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: my friend woke up and her eye is swollen shut and she she's her eye is a Lil red.
I just need to know what to do
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go to the ER

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Did something bite her on the eyes ?
It appears as if she is having conjunctivitis in one eye and the other eye is really swollen so there is no way to look at the insides.
It could be a bad chalazion / stye.
She needs to go the ER, and have some antibiotic drops for the eyes, and a referral to an Opthalmologist at the earliest.
Try some cold ice packing on the area.
Avoid touching it, or sharing hankies.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 16 minutes later
is there anyway that her wearing to much make up could have made her eye do that
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is possible.

Detailed Answer:
Conjunctivitis is inflammation of the eye membranes.
It could be due to an infection, but yes, chemical allergic reactions could do that.
Wearing too much eye make up that could have fallen into the eyes could definitely lead to it, particularly if she went to bed without properly removing all of the eye make up.
How are her eyes now ?