Suggest treatment for swollen eyes and coughing up of yellow mucus

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 7 Sep 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i have had an allergy problem for several months. it got better when i spent several weeks at my St. XXXXXXX home with the help of antibiotics. When i returned to our Lake house in Arkansas my problems returned. I smelled mold in the sun room when we returned. i put the dehumidifier in there and the smell went away. However every day i wake up eith swollen eyes and today i coughed up yellow mucus several times. What sort of medication can help me? We have a mold specialist coming to evaluate our home on Thursday. We have 3 dehumidifiers running in this house. . . two in the lower level and one in our bedroom.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are most probably having allergic rhino sinusitis PND .

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

I have read your query , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

As per your clinical history it appears that you are most probably having allergic rhino sinusitis with post nasal discharge (PND). It may or may not be related to molds.

If I were your treating Doctor for this case , I would advice
Saline nasal spray thrice daily or rinse to thin out secretion ,
Salt water gargle twice daily to remove yellow mucus from throat ,
Combination Steroid nasal spray with antihistamine 2 puff each nostril twice daily to control allergy &
complete course of antibiotic .
Do mold control of your home by mold specialist .

You will get relief . You will need prescription for steroid nasal spray from your doctor .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 11 hours later
i am already doing the twice daily saline "nettie pot". i use Flonase and antihistimine spray twice daily as prescribed by my doctor. I just finished two ten day rounds of the antibiotic. I saw an ENT specialist in St. XXXXXXX and he said I had no blockage and did not need surgery or any other
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue saline nasal rinse , Flonase and antihistamine spray .

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for the follow up query.

Then i would advice ,
continue saline nasal rinse , Flonase and antihistamine spray .
There is no need for antibiotic & surgery .

Do mold control .

Wish you good health .

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar