• question-icon

Suggest treatment for swollen eyelids

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: right eyelid slightly swollen yesterday morning upon wakening.... took several Benedryl with only slightly better (1/2 reduction in the swelling) ... this morning both eyes have it a little; there is some minor itching in the right eye... what to do? hot or cold compresses? Tried cold compresses last night - slight improvement but not much.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
cold compress would be better

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would be best to try the cold rather than warm compresses. Warmth causes blood vessels to dilate which increases the blood flow to an area, this may worsen swelling.

On the other hand, cold cause constriction.

It is unusual for an allergy to affect one eye and not the other (what happened yesterday morning) unless a specific agent went into that particular eye. Both eyes are usually exposed to the same potential allergens and should have the same response.

You can continue to use benadryl but should monitor for any signs of symptoms that may indicate that there is any other problem eg discharge (indicating infection), pain with bright light/watery eyes (can sometimes indicate ulceration or a cut on the surface of the eye)
Blurred vision

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
why can't we done about the slate itching other than Benadryl ?
and how long will it take for the swelling to go down before it's a more serious issue ?
I do have food allergies but have not eaten anything out of the ordinary
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
can use another oral antihistamine, also topical options available

Detailed Answer:
HI

You can consider the use of another oral antihistamine such as claritine or allegra or zyrtec.
Also there are topical antihistamines for the eyes such as olopatadine but this may require a prescription from your doctor.

A food allergy would be expected to affect both eyes from the beginning since there should be a systemic response.

It can take a few days for the swelling to resolve but this would depend on if you are continually exposed to the stimulus.

If you are exposed continually, then there would always be some residual swelling.

Please feel free to ask anything else
Dr. Michelle Gibson James