Suggest treatment for swollen eye

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: MY SON IS 2 AND HALF AND HE HAS WOKEN UP TODAY WITH A SWOLLEN EYE. HE DID HAVE A SMALL AMOUNT OF CREAMY YELLOWISH DISCHARGE ON THE EYE HOWEVER 4 HOURS LATER THERE HAS BEEN NO MORE. HE DID SLEEP ON A NEW PLUSH TOY WE BROUGHT HIM YESTERDAY. WHAT COULD THIS BE? IT IS NOT RED AND IS DOES NOT SEEM BOTHERED BY IT.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely infection of eye (blepharitis)

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I can understand your concern.I have seen the image.There is swelling of left eye especially below the lower eye lid with some inflammation of lower eye lid(blepharitis).
Presence of discharge also goes in favour of blepharitis.
I would suggest you to put some antibiotic drop like azithromycin three to four times a day for 5-7 days.
Clean the eye after proper hand wash with help of soaked sterile cotton swab from inside out.
Do this once then through the swab (don't use it again).Do it three to four times each 4-5 times a day.

If redness or swelling increases rapidly consult an ophthalmologist for clinical evaluation and management accordingly.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your child's speedy recovery.