Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for swollen epididymis and vas deferons

Question
three days ago I went to the er because i accidently sat on my testicles. I didn't realize for a day that they were hurt but my epiditimitis and vas deferons swelled up and became very painful. I went to the er and was prescribed doxycyclene hyclqte and naproxen. yesterday against doctors advice i ejaculated. the remainder of the day yesterday and today I qm in alit more pain. the swelling has gone down but I'm worried about the.pain being something worse... please help.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The decrease in pain and swelling is a good sign.

Detailed Answer:
Good Day and thank you for being with Healthcare Magic!

It is a good sign that the swelling in your testicles and epidiymis are going down meaning that the inflammation and damage because of the trauma (sitting down on it) are healing properly. Did the ER get a urinalysis to check for urine infection? Often times the swelling can be because of an infection and it is already swollen prior to you sitting down on it.

My general advice : 1) refrain from any physical strenous activity (including sexual contact and ejaculation ) until all the swelling and pain resolves. 2) Wear tight fitting underwear to limit testicular movement and prevent further inflammation also until pain resolves and 3) continue anti-inflammatory and pain reliever prescribed to you to decrease pain and swelling. If the pain and swelling worsens I would suggest a testicular ultrasound to properly assess if there is testicular damage and to further plan the necessary treatment.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: http://www.HealthcareMagic.com/doctors/dr-manuel-c-see-iv/66014 I would gladly help you. Best wishes.

Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for swollen epididymis and vas deferons 14 minutes later
The swelling has decreased but the pain is still very high. Does this mean I need to go back in or that the condition is worsening or just that I need to wait for the pain to decrease?

Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may wait 2-3 days to observe.

Detailed Answer:
I would suggest 2-3 days of rest to observe the pain and your condition. The pain would gradually go away and since the swelling is almost gone then i believe there is no structural damage to your testis and scrotal contents. Anytime you feel that your condition is worsening i would suggest immediate ER visit to get an ultrasound. Otherwise i believe your condition is self-limiting and will go away in a few days.

thank you very much.

Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU FPUA