Suggest treatment for swollen ear

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 9 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I just had lunch and I bit into my food an I realized a sensation that felt like I bit into a lemon. On the left side of my mouth and now my jaw underneath my ear is swollen.

It don't have pain, but definitely swollen
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
blocked salivary gland

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you feel swelling on the left side of your face and under your ear. This is probably due to a stone in the parotid salivary duct. This will block the saliva and will back up into the gland. The best thing right now is to massage the gland and eat sour lemon drops. Then lemon drops will increase salivation and help push the stone out. If that does not dislodge the stone then you may need to see an ENT specialist to open the duct to allow the stone to pass.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions